Sunday 11 December 2016

Greek Theatre evaluation

Acting the play Oedipus was very challenging at times as my focus sometimes was more on remembering the lines of the piece rather then the actual performance and focusing on my characterisation, however I believe that one of My main strengths in my performance was my characterisation, being able to maintain it through the whole piece, Even though Emily's character was quite comical and the audience laughed, it wasn't a major distraction and I was able to maintain full focus and concentration when performing.
Within performing the piece I am happily able to say that both Dijarn and Emily performed very well maintaining a strong presence on stage, we all had a strong connection/bond as actors off stage and on and after watching back our performance(witch I will link near the end) I believe that it really showed in our performance, I know There were many strong moments in our piece particularly our voice projection and diction as a group, the video of our was taken in the audience and everything was clearly heard
No one stumbled over words witch was very good.
I also realised our delivery of speech was linked with our staging i.e. When I was down stage in the beginning of the play my vocal projection was quite low compared to when me and DIjarn performed the argument we were both upstage and our voices were louder so the sound could travel right to the back of the audience, this was very clear in the video..
A very strong moment captured in the performance was when me as Jocasta and Dijarn as Oedipus had an argument regarding the discovery of Oedipus, past and the Shepherd.
In the clip as the argument begun I could clear gasps from the audience.
As I was performing this  scene I remember the tension in the atmosphere, our energy was intense and we delivered it in a fast pace witch helped it become more believable to the audience, I know what your thinking, a fast paced delivery of speech means a rushed  performance, well... not exactly, me and Dirjarn really wanted to make this scene realistic, of course because Miesner taught us that acting is "behaving truthfully in imaginary circumstances", we went over this scene many times on the day of our performance  putting into mind Uta hagns technique, using the three questions, mainly focusing on the question "What do I want", so what are our objectives in the moment as my our characters. As we both done research and had background knowledge on our characters we both had a clear understanding of our objectives. We then imagined we were a modern couple arguing, when putting this into practice it really helped delivering our performance especially when I got on my knees and said: "On my knees I beg you" begging Oedipus not to continue, scared she he will ruin his reputation.Dijarn gave a strong outburst of "that's enough", the sound echoed in the audience and I stayed in character putting into mind everything we practiced involving the uta hagen technique and remembering to act in response to my fellow actor.
I learnt as an actor it is key to stay in role otherwise you wont be believable to the audience, luckily we were all truthful in our performance.
Another key strength we had whilst performing was our staging, this gradually improved throughout our
lessons as we got good feedback on it and how to improve.
our performance travelled on stage and as a group we had to have special awareness keeping in mind the audiences view of our performance. The way we staged our interpretation of the text was unique compared to the other groups as we had a plan of moving across stage and when it came up to the "dramatic "scene between me and Dijarn we would end up Add to dictionary groups like Aleks, group had there piece mainly centre stage, so there main focus was grabbing the audiences attention and making sure the audience was completely focused in there piece.
The staging in our performance linked with dominance as characters for example, my character Jokasta is a more dominant character than Emily who plays the slave, so in the beginning I was upstage facing the audience and emily was behind facing towards me,i decided to do this to make it obious to the audience what characters we played because if we were side to side the audience may have not understood what we were doing.
I believe that staging also made it interesting to the audience, normally if theres a long piece of speech the audience may loose interest and concentration, but the audience was completely focused in our performance, I now this because of the reactions we got in some parts of our  performance(laughter, shock),this shows that we had a good communication with the audience.
We listened to our actors and had thought prossess, this was clear when Jokasta told Oedipus his father is dead and he was going to be crowned king,Emily had no speech until I left but had a good thought presses whilst we were speaking,she showed a clear understanding of characterisation and stayed in role even when she had no speech.
After watching the performance I noticed I had a range of different tones witch fitted well with my characterisation in different pars of the performance for example in the beginning the opening line I said calmly was "we return your greeting,you bring us news?",this fitted well with the context of that part of the performance, I said it in settle tone,trying to make Jokasta seem unprepared for the news she was about too hear.After hearing about Oedipus' fathers death my tone was sharp and my voice got louder,this worked well with the audience and helped with characterisation.
Although our characterisation was clear,i feel like we could have improved our exiting off stage. I think all of us failed to exit sage with a purpose and from the video it looked odd and didn't fit well with our performance.
After esearching the acient greek thetre background and watching clips of actors in that era,all actors left the performing stage with a purpose,even with masks on they were still able to show clear transitions leaving and entering stage.
We were given feedback on this but wen concentrated more on staging and characterisation.
I leant as an actor it is important to take feedback seriously as it does affect the overall outcome.
Another thing to improve on where our hands.We all nstruggles with knowing what to do withn our hands and in the performance sometimes we would fiddle with one hand whilst speaking,this shows our nervousness as actors and it was very distacrtin,it too away from our performance and was a big default when perfrming.In the performance after looking back at the video I noticed in the bggining scene with Emily I moive my right hand a lot to the audience,im not sure why I done this...in the moment it felt right but after looking back at it now it looks quite awkward as an audience member.It would probably looked better if my hands were side to side,straight down.
overall I think our performance would have been a lot better without these drawbacks but it helps me as an actor understand what I need to improve on next time.
Here is a link to our performance :

This clearly showed where our main focuses were

My first initial thought of the play was that it was going to be a challenging performance.
I was not interested in the text at first because I thought the roles were boring compared to the others,but after researching the charactters and watching the play I realised hw interesting it could be and how we could ake it our own.After reading the book  "Acting techniques" by Micheal Powll  I realised as an actor you may not like the roles you are given,but it is importsnt you explore different characters and go out of your comfort zone,agencies are looking for people that can play different roles for different jobs.
The Uta Hagen technique helped me find identity as a character,it helped me develop awareness of my surroundings when playing my role and helped me act with real human emotions.
Our main fcus as a group was Uta Hagens question of "what would you do".
We had toput ourselves in imaginary circumstances to really act truthfully in our role,discusing  in rehursals how we would feel if we were actually in thae situations.

In the next project we do I want to focus on my punctuation as an actor.Delievering my words clearer to the audience,to help me do this I need to keep practicing tounge twister and cnstanants.
I would also like to be able to step out of my comfort zone when acting,delivering my inner monolougue through my thought prosseses,i believe my inner monolouges could be improved by looking over Uta hagens technique,focusing on the six questions she taught.


No comments:

Post a Comment