Monday 26 September 2016

Greek Theatre-Oedipus Week 1

We started off with Robs acting technique classes,in this we got more knowledge on Greek theatre.
We watched a documentary "BBC Ancient Greece The Greatest Show on Earth - Democrats - 1/3".
this documentary was very interesting,after doing my research on Greek theatre,I did not feel as tho I knew enough knowledge in the history of greek theatre & the reason to why it is so significant in today's society.
In this video I was able to get a look at how drama in Athens was deeply connected to Athenian democracy,it helped me realise how strongly Greek theatre and Democracy is linked.
I learnt that:
-Greek civilisation effects every aspect of our lives
-Greek authors revolutionised story telling
-Greek theatre was a reaction to real events(story of Athens)
-In the 6th Century Athens was ruled by Democracy,so they had more freedom after the war
- lifelike statues & sculptures were created
  Which helped the Greek authors when play writing
-All Greek performers wore masks as a signal of profession (masks were known to help people get closer to God),when you put a mask on it was as if you were a different person

Throughout the video I was able to maintain full concentration as I was quite interested in learning about the history of greek theatre,there were many eye catching moments in the video and it really caught my attention.
In the afternoon we were with rob for acting techniques in which we trained our voices and practiced tongue twisters,I struggled with this as I'm not used to saying tounge twisters but as this helps with vocal speech and as an actress punctuation in speach is very important,when I get time I will practice them as much as I can,these assist my learning and subsequent development.
Before getting our scripts we played a few games as a class,developing our skills as actors and helping us with team work,these games
We then got given our scripts and were put into groups for out Greek theatre unit 1 performance.
I like working with Emily and Dijarn as I haven't worked with them before,I like there approach on the play and characterisation.I feel comfortable around all of my class mates and don't ferl shy if I make a mistake or mess up around them,I know there characters and I know we all support one another and we all take in feedback and learn from our mistakes.
We read through our scripts in groups,My first impressions of the script was that I knew a lot of emotion was linked with the script,so before getting into it I had to understand the characters and research about them before I got into it.
I wasn't quite farmilliar with the language used in the scripts although I have auditioned somewhere with a Macbeth speach.The highlight of the day was receiving the scripts,even though I didn't know the limes I was already thinking about the staging and directing.


No comments:

Post a Comment